How to Help
Most private, non-profit organizations operate with limited resources. Gateway Community Services is no exception. Gateway is always in need of volunteers, interns, money, tangible goods, and community support. There are many ways you can support Gateway Community Services.
Here are ways you can help:
- Inform young people about Gateway’s programs and services and help them connect with us through the 24/7 crisis line @ 1-877-833-3689 or @ 517-882-7217.
- Share a skill or hobby with youth in shelter. Teach them how to sew, how to change a tire, how to care for a garden, etc.
- Be a mentor to youth who lack positive, supportive, adult role models.
- Collect clothing, hygiene supplies, blankets, first aid supplies, children’s toys, baby items, etc. to give to our youth on the street and in our shelter.
- Come into the shelter and assist youth with cooking and nutrition.
- Hold a non-perishable food drive in your neighborhood or community.
- Help tutor youth who are struggling in school or needing to improve their reading and math skills.
- Teach computer or other job building skills.
- Invite us to speak to your community organization.
- Hold a winter coat drive and collect coats, boots, hats, gloves, and scarves for teens.
- Gather art and school supplies from your friends, neighbors, and local grocers.
- Provide a meal or other benefit to raise money for runaway, homeless, and struggling youth.
- Bring your whole family to the shelter to help with yard work (raking, weeding, planting flowers, etc.).
- Prepare a meal or baked goods and drop them off at the shelter.
- Assist at the administrative office by answering phones, filing, sorting mail, preparing spreadsheets, and other office tasks.
- Hold a backpack drive in your community to prepare homeless teens returning to school.
- Join the Street Outreach Team as a volunteer, speaking with homeless youth on the street, and helping them transition from the street to shelter.
- Sponsor a youth for a haircut or free passes to the gym.
- Donate your gift certificates.
- OR, bring us your idea of ways to help.
Gateway Community Services staff are also happy to speak at your club or organization. Please contact the administrative office at 517-351-4000 or email email@example.com. to schedule a speaker.